Skip to main content

W88-0720. Adelphic Society. Records, 1866-1942. 0.50 linear ft.

 Collection
Identifier: W88-0720

Scope and Contents

The main thrust of this collection is the society’s minutes. Information such as membership lists, business decisions, and meeting activities can be found in this valuable source. The main weakness of the collection is the absence of materials from 1943-1960s. The folders are arranged alphabetically.

Dates

  • 1866 - 1942

History

The Adelphic Society was organized on September 17, 1886, as a student/faculty organization of Western Theological Seminary. Its goal was to “cultivate the social, intellectual, and spiritual attainments of its members.” A typical meeting of the society included devotions, essays and discussions, social time, and musical selections. On April 9, 1907, the group decided to affiliate with the Young Men’s Christian Association (Y.M.C.A.) of Theological Seminaries, and thus its name was changed to the Adelphic Y.M.C.A. In October of 1925, the society became associated with a different group, this time the League of Evangelical Students. The Adelphic Society was discontinued in the mid-1960s.

Extent

0.50 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Student and faculty organization of Western Theological Seminary. Materials include minutes, correspondence, and essay topics. Detailed Collection Register available.

Provenance

Adelphic Society
Status
Completed
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Joint Archives of Holland Repository

Contact:
Theil Research Center
9 East 10th Street
Holland Michigan 49423 United States
616-395-7798