Skip to main content

H09-1640.80. Basketball Team (Women’s). Records, 1955-[ongoing]. 1.00 linear ft.

 Collection
Identifier: H09-1640.80

Abstract

In 1900, Hope’s first basketball team was formed for women and, in 1901, the first men’s team followed. Over the next 100 years, Hope basketball grew and efforts to accommodate the larger crowds resulted in several moves, from Carnegie Gymnasium in 1906, to the Holland Armory in 1930, the Holland Civic Center in 1954, the Dow Gymnasium in 1978, and finally DeVos Fieldhouse in 2005. Also in that time, Hope has won 32 MIAA championships, made 17 appearances in NCAA, earned 5 conference titles, and has been awarded 23 MVP awards. Its most distinguished achievement was in 1990 when the Hope women’s basketball team became the National NCAA Division III champions. Collection includes clippings, two game programs from 1981 and 1986; programs, 2015-2018 (located in the Basketball Team [Men’s] collection); March 17, 2010, video interview with coach Brian Morehouse; a half-time interview with Sue Wise and the quarterfinal game against Buena Vista; 2006 national championship, 2005-2006 season tribute; videos of 1990 semi-finals game vs. Centre, 1990 championship game vs. St. John Fisher; and 1989-1990 season highlights, and original 1990 fan sign created by student Sara Luidens and 1990 team members names printed on orange cloth. For last two items See Hope Oversized Drawer.

Dates

  • 1955-[ongoing]

Extent

1.00 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Joint Archives of Holland Repository

Contact:
Theil Research Center
9 East 10th Street
Holland Michigan 49423 United States
616-395-7798